Cod fish with fries (portuguese Bacalhau à brás). This recipe is one that means a lot to us because it's a dish that we both grew up on and it really takes us back to our Portuguese roots. Soaked salt cod (bacalhau) is baked with sliced potatoes, olive oil, garlic, and other seasonings in this savory casserole. Portuguese Cod Fish Casserole. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines.
Ingredients of Cod fish with fries (portuguese Bacalhau à brás)
- Prepare 1 of Midsize Cod fillet.
- Prepare 1 of Onion.
- It’s 2 of Big potatoes.
- Prepare 1 of Garlic head.
- It’s of Parsley.
- It’s of Olive Oil.
This guide will provide an overview of Bacalhau, including popular. Bacalhau à Brás (Cod à Brás) is a Portuguese dish made from shreds of salted cod (bacalhau), onions and thinly chopped (matchstick-sized) fried potatoes, all bound with scrambled eggs. It is usually garnished with black olives and sprinkled with fresh parsley. This is a very unique Portuguese Salt Cod fish dish.
Cod fish with fries (portuguese Bacalhau à brás) instructions
- Keep the cod 48 hours under water before starting to cook yo remove the excess of salt..
- Boil the cod fillet untill it's very soft and fully white. Remove the skin and mince It with a fork (be careful to remove all the spines).
- Cut the potatoes and the onion into thin slices..
- Deep fry the potatoes and save some of the olive oil.
- In a separate pan fry the onion around five minutes, then add the potatoes and the cod..
- Keep frying and smashing the mix untill it gets the same yellow color, should be around 15 minutes).
- Serve and enjoy!.
Very popular in the Azores Islands of Portugal. Cooked for many occasions and well enjoyed. To save yourself time you can prepare the potatoes ahead of time and let them soak in water untill you are ready to start your dish. When in Portugal do as the Portuguese do and eat bacalhau (or cod, in Engish). With hundreds of recipes, this is a dish that will never get old.