Spaetzle with Butter, Fried Onion, and Gruyere Cheese. Gruyère and Caramelized Onions, need I say more. Spread the spaetzle in the dish and dot with the butter. Käsespätzle (cheese spaetzle) was a favorite dish in our home and we always looked forward to it when my mom would make it.
Ingredients of Spaetzle with Butter, Fried Onion, and Gruyere Cheese
- Prepare 2 cups of flour.
- You need 2 tablespoons of salt.
- You need 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.
- It’s 4 of large eggs.
- You need 1/2 cup of milk.
- It’s 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Prepare 1 of onion sliced.
- It’s 1 cup of gruyere cheese (or any mountain cheese).
Here's just one way to prepare cooked spaetzle. Not many noodle dishes can beat this simple, yet delicious preparation. I layer mine with butter browned with alittle onion, and swiss cheese. My daughters describe it as german mac & cheese.
Spaetzle with Butter, Fried Onion, and Gruyere Cheese instructions
- Mix flour and spices in large bowl..
- Add eggs and milk to flour mixture and mix to combine..
- Let dough rest for 15 min..
- Push scoops of dough through spaetzle tool or large hole of cheese grater into pot of boiling water..
- When spaetzle floats, remove from water and set aside..
- In large pan, heat butter over medium-high heat..
- When butter is hot, add onion slices. Fry until golden brown and crispy..
- Using tongs, remove onions, leaving the butter in the pan..
- Add Spaetzle to butter and cook until browned..
- Remove pan from heat and add cheese. Mix until cheese is completely melted..
- Transfer spaetzle to serving dish and top with fried onions..
Add spätzle and continue to cook for approx. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spaetzle with Gruyere Cheese and Caramelized Onion by Global Table Adventure. Make sure you keep some of the spaetzle aside and save them for in the morning. They are great fried up in some butter with bacon or sausage and scrambled eggs for breakfast!