Oyako-don (Chicken and Egg Rice Bowl). Classic Oyakodon recipe – chicken and egg are simmered in a sweet and savory dashi sauce then Chicken, egg, and onion are pretty standard ingredients in most cuisines. Chef Dai demonstrates how to make "Oyakodon" – a simple yet delicious Japanese rice bowl recipe with tender, juicy nuggets of chicken and fluffy, creamy egg. Japanese comfort food, Oyakodon is chicken meat and beaten eggs, simmered in a sweet and savory stock, and eaten over cooked rice in a bowl.
Ingredients of Oyako-don (Chicken and Egg Rice Bowl)
- It’s 5 oz of water.
- You need 4-5 pieces of sliced, dried shiitake mushrooms.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of light-colored soy sauce.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Mirin.
- Prepare 2 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare 1/3 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 5 of and 1/4 oz Chicken thigh meat.
- You need 1/2 of onion.
- It’s 2 of eggs.
- Prepare of MITSUBA if you want.
- Prepare 2 cups of steamed rice.
Bring the soup back to the boil; pour the eggs over chicken and onion. Turn the heat to low and cover with a lid. Oyako is a traditional Japanese donburi, or rice bowl. Chicken and eggs are simmered in a flavorful broth and then spooned over steamed Japanese rice.
Oyako-don (Chicken and Egg Rice Bowl) instructions
- Soak dried mushroom in water..
- Add soy sauce, mirin, sugar and salt..
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Slice the onion..
- Put the soy sauce mixture in a pot or a skillet and bring to a boil on medium heat..
- Put the chicken and onion in a skillet or a pot and cover with a lid. Let simmer till cooked..
- Beat eggs in a bowl, and pour over the chicken and onion. Cook an additional 10 sec. Remove from heat and cover the skillet/ the pot until egg is steamed..
- Ta-da!!! Serve over cooked rice..
Oyako literally means parents and children in Japanese and is a reference to two of the dish's main ingredients: chicken and egg. Oyakodon, a soupy rice bowl with bite-size chicken and softly cooked egg, is often overshadowed by its more glamorous cousins — katsudon, crowned with a golden breaded pork cutlet, and kaisendon, jeweled with sashimi. But to describe oyakodon's layered textures and sweet-salty sauce of onions. This simple Japanese meal consists of chicken and egg cooked in an umami-rich sauce served atop freshly cooked rice. Our oyakodon recipe provides step-by-step instructions on how to prepare a perfect Japanese style chicken and egg donburi rice bowl.