Harissa is a Middle Eastern paste. It adds a kick of heat to this mild soup.
The ingredient of Chicken and quinoa soup
- 1.3kg free-range chicken
- 1 leek, white part only, sliced
- 3 celery sticks, coarsely chopped
- 10 black peppercorns
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- Handful fresh continental parsley stalks
- 100g (1/2 cup) quinoa, rinsed, drained
- 1 large carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 large zucchini, trimmed, finely chopped
- 75g baby spinach leaves
- Harissa, to serve (optional)
The instruction how to make Chicken and quinoa soup
- Rinse chicken cavity. Place in a large saucepan with the leek, celery, peppercorns, garlic and parsley. Cover with cold water. Slowly bring to boil over medium heat. Skim fat from surface. Reduce heat to low. Partially cover. Simmer for 1 hour. Remove chicken. Set aside to cool slightly. Simmer stock for a further 15 minutes to develop the flavours.
- Strain stock through a sieve over a bowl. Discard solids. When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove and discard skin and bones. Shred meat from breasts and thighs, and set aside. Save remaining meat for another meal.
- Place 1.5L of the stock in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium. Add quinoa. Simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Add carrot, zucchini and shredded chicken. Simmer for 5 minutes or until vegies are tender. Stir through spinach until it wilts. Season. Stir through a little harissa, if using.
Nutritions of Chicken and quinoa soupcalories: 252.862 calories
fatContent: 6 grams fat
saturatedFatContent: 2 grams saturated fat
carbohydrateContent: 13 grams carbohydrates
proteinContent: 35 grams protein