The ingredient of White bean & fennel soup
- 305g (1 1/2 cups) dried great northern or cannellini beans
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 brown onions, finely chopped
- 6 drained anchovy fillets, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500g desiree potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 500g (about 4) baby fennel bulbs, fronds reserved, tough outer layer removed, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1L (4 cups) Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 1L (4 cups) water
- Salt & ground black pepper, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, extra, to serve
The instruction how to make White bean & fennel soup
- Place the beans in a large bowl and cover with plenty of cold water. Cover and set aside overnight to soak. Drain and rinse, then drain again.
- Heat the oil in a large deep sauce- pan over medium heat. Add the onions, anchovies and garlic, and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until anchovies begin to break down. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 5 minutes or until the onions soften slightly.
- Add the potatoes and fennel to the pan, and stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the fennel softens slightly.
- Add the drained beans, stock and water to the pan, and stir to combine. Increase heat to high, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 30 minutes or until the beans are tender and the soup thickens slightly. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Garnish with reserved fennel fronds, and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.
Nutritions of White bean & fennel soupcalories: 371.645 calories
fatContent: 21 grams fat
saturatedFatContent: 3 grams saturated fat
carbohydrateContent: 19 grams carbohydrates
sugarContent: 9 grams sugar
proteinContent: 21 grams protein
cholesterolContent: 3 milligrams cholesterol
sodiumContent: 898.97 milligrams sodium