Take an Australian classic like pumpkin soup, add a Moroccan twist and make this "souper" meal which is vegan friendly.
The ingredient of Moroccan pumpkin soup
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red birdseye chilli, finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1.5kg butternut or Queensland blue pumpkin, peeled, seeded (see note), cut into 3cm pieces
- 1/3 cup (70g) yellow split peas
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Coriander sprigs, to serve
- Soup sprinkles, to serve
The instruction how to make Moroccan pumpkin soup
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over low-medium heat and cook leek, garlic and 2 teaspoons salt, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add chilli, cinnamon, ginger and cumin and stir for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add carrots, pumpkin and split peas. Stir to coat in onion mixture.
- Add 1.5 litres water to saucepan and bring to the boil, then simmer for 50 minutes or until split peas are soft.
- Remove and discard cinnamon stick from soup. Add lemon juice then process or blend soup, in small batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth. Return soup to pan and reheat over medium heat. Serve topped with coriander sprigs and soup sprinkles.
Nutritions of Moroccan pumpkin soupcalories: 254.774 calories
fatContent: 11 grams fat
saturatedFatContent: 2 grams saturated fat
carbohydrateContent: 26 grams carbohydrates
sugarContent: 16 grams sugar
proteinContent: 9 grams protein
sodiumContent: 16.07 milligrams sodium